My mom & dad made a scrumptious dinner of home made macaroni & cheez made with GRUYÈRE!!!!! :D
They were told about the recipe from a lady at their church--she saw it on the cover of Family Circle, then when she opened to page 162, there WAS NO PAGE 162!!!! Someone had torn it out!! My dad, who used to work at the Grandview Library, decided to help her out and ordered the October 17, 2009 copy of the magazine since the picture looked so good! And he's just a helpful kinda guy ;)
Mom made up some fresh green beans
Altogether with some ham from Yutzy's in Plain City, Ohio, it was a great satisfying and comforting meal!
Recipe for "Mac & Cheese" Family Circle Magazine Oct 17, 2009--The combination of three cheeses makes our mac extra rich and creamy.
Makes 12 side-dish servings
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 6 minutes Bake at 350° for 20 minutes Broil 3 minutes
1 box (1 pound) penne rigate
3/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 pound Gruyère cheese, shredded
1/2 cup shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Heat oven to 350°. Coat a 2 quart broiler-safe oval baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
2. Once water boils, add penne. Cook 6 minutes, then drain. In a large bowl, toss together the cheddar, Gruyère, and Asiago. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile (back at the ranch), melt butter in medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Whisk flour until smooth and slightly bubbly. In a thin stream, whisk in milk. Stir in the onion powder, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in 2.5 cups of the cheese mixture.
4. In pasta pot, stir together the cooked penne and the cheese sauce. Pour half into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with a generous cup of the cheese. Spoon remaining penne into dish and top with remaining cheese.
5. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil and cook 3 minutes, until top is lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving.
Per serving 400 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 20 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 410 mg sodium, 65 mg cholesterol
......Not that *we're* counting!!! This week is going to be a food free-for-all for the Meggilizz!! I'm going to eat whatever I want, but am going to *try* to balance it out with vegetables. See I got my mom to make green beans with dinner!! And they were FRESH!!! :D